You know, with my first novel, I didn’t really know if I could do it. Finish it, I mean.
I knew what the story was because it had been rattling around in my brain for a couple of years, but I had no idea if I had a finished manuscript in me. So I took a crack at it. I plotted it out, created an outline and then started writing. I kept it to myself, and nobody read it until I was done three drafts.
When I finished it, the process of creating a synopsis and a query summary revealed structural edits that needed doing. Thankfully, the story concept was robust enough to handle changes of that nature, at that stage of the game.
With novel #2, I’m finding the approach I’m taking is quite different:
- First off, I’m confident I can finish it! *woot!*
- Second, I want to nail down all that structural stuff first.
- Third, I’m a lot more interested in testing the early planning stages.
I like the “soak time” this approach entails. Any time I have for daydreaming is spent inventing new bits of plot, putting bits of the puzzle together, taking it apart, and then trying it a whole new way.
Anyhow, I guess what I’m trying to say is this: just because you did it one way before, doesn’t mean you have to do it that way again. Learn. Adapt. And as they say here in the Maritimes: give’r.
Oh, and MERRY CHRISTMAS/HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all.